Hey everybody, welcome to the coolest blog for learning about taxes and getting your money back from the U.S. government!

Listen! if you worked are working or will work in the states under a J-1 or F-1 visa well then you may have some money coming your way! we have a easy and convenient service online which you can use anytime any place to submit for a tax refund we do all the work for you. you could be entitled up to $2,000!!

Attention: Nonresident alien students, with F-1 or J-1 visas who are employed by a U.S. company during the summer

Posted: January 7th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Bulletin | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »
Non resident alien, us tax, f-1 visa,j-1 visa, work us,us job,deduction pay,check

Non resident aliens working in a US company during the summer

All nonresident alien students, with F-1 or J-1 visas who are employed by a U.S. company during the summer, are required to have federal income taxes withheld from their paychecks.  This applies to all wages and other compensation paid to a nonresident alien for services performed as an employee.

These wages and compensation are:

–           usually subject to graduated withholding at the same rates as resident aliens and U.S. citizens.

–            subject to graduated withholding unless it is specifically excluded from the term “wages” by law, or is exempt from tax by treaty.

Nonresident aliens must follow modified instructions when completing IRS Form W-4 and should refer to IRS Publication 519, “U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens”.

How do I know if I need to file a 1040NR-EZ or a 1040NR and what is the difference between the two?

Posted: January 7th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Did you know? | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

1040NR,1040NR EZ, tax return, tax questions,

Which one to choose?

The basic difference between the two forms is that the 1040NR-EZ is for nonresident aliens who have a very simple tax situation.  The 1040NR is used when a nonresident alien has slightly more complex sources of income.

Most nonresident aliens will file a 1040NR-EZ instead of a 1040NR.  To qualify for a 1040NR-EZ you must meet the following qualifications:

  1. Your only U.S. source income was from wages, salaries, tips, taxable refunds of state and local income taxes, and scholarship or fellowship grants.
  2. You do not claim any dependents.
  3. You cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person’s U.S. tax return (such as your parent’s return).
  4. You do not claim any itemized deductions other than for state or local income tax.
  5. Your Taxable income is less than $100,000.00.
  6. If you are married and do not claim an exemption for your spouse.
  7. You are not claiming any tax credits.
  8. The only exclusion you can take is the exclusion for scholarship and fellowship grants, and the only adjustment to income you can take is the student loan interest deduction.

The only taxes you owe are:

The tax from the Tax table on pages 17 through 25, or

Unreported social security and Medicare tax from Forms 4137 or 8919.

You can use a 1040NR in most of the following cases:

  1. You were a nonresident alien engaged in a trade or business in the United States during 2009. You must file even if:
  2. You have no income from a trade or business conducted in the United States,
  3. You have no U.S. source income, or
  4. Your income is exempt from U.S. tax under a tax treaty or any section of the Internal Revenue Code.
  5. You are claiming dependents (residents of Canada , Mexico , Japan , Korea and students from India only) – Form 1040NR
  6. You received dividends or capital gains from U.S. stocks – Form 1040NR
  7. You received income on Form 1099 as independent contractor – Form 1040NR
  8. You are claiming itemized deductions such as donations to U.S. charities, professional tax preparation fees from previous    years – Form 1040NR
  9. You are claiming un-reimbursed employee expenses (moving, travel, continuing education) – Form 1040NR
  10. You have additional adjustments to income – Form 1040NR

Did you know that if you worked in the United States under a J-1 Visa your employer was not required to withhold social security tax and Medicare?

Posted: January 7th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Did you know? | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »
J-1 visa, tax back, refund, social security, medicare

J-1 visa, your probably entitled to get your tax back!

If your employer withheld these taxes from your paychecks there is a way to get your taxback. You must first request a reimbursement from your employer.  If your employer is not able to do this (which happens more often than not), you should file a claim for refund with the Internal Revenue Service on Form 843, “Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement”.  Along with Form 843, you must include the following:

–           A copy of your Form W-2 (PDF), Wage and Tax Statement, to prove the amount of tax withheld;

–           A copy of your valid entry visa;

–          Copies of the pay stubs that cover the period of exemption from social security taxes if your visa status changed during the tax year;

–          A copy of INS Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record if you are still in the United States;

–          A copy of Form I-20 if you have a F-1 visa;

–          A copy of Form DS-2019 if you have a J-1 visa;

–          Form I-766 or Form I-688B if you are engaged in optical practical training, and

–          Form 8316, “Information Regarding Request for Refund of Social Security Tax, a statement from your employer containing identical information, or a signed statement stating that you have requested a refund from the employer and have not been able to obtain one.